FAIRFAX, Va. – -(Ammoland.com)- The NRA Foundation awarded a total of $22,500 in college scholarships to attendees of the 2017 NRA Youth Education Summit (Y.E.S.), a seven-day educational experience in Washington, D.C., for rising high school juniors and seniors, held this year from July 24-30.
The Youth Education Summit encourages young adults to become active and knowledgeable U.S. citizens by learning about the Constitution, Bill of Rights and the federal government. Since the program’s inception in 1996, more than $540,000 in scholarships has been awarded to participants.
The following students received scholarships based on their display of leadership qualities and performance in debates and speeches conducted over the course of the week.
2017 Y.E.S. End-of-Week Scholarships:
- $3,500: Rylie Pennell, Warrenton, Virginia
- $3,500: Simon Sefzik, Ferndale, Washington
- $2,500: Denise Shaffer, Houston, Texas
- $2,500: Peter Leonard, Tallahassee, Florida
- $2,500: Allen Slaughter, Frankfort, Kentucky
- $2,000: Kaitlyn Callaway, Tuscola, Texas
- $2,000: Gage Paris, Black Forest, Colorado
- $1,000: Sophia Puliafico, Juneau, Alaska
- $1,000: Amby Tierney, Cohasset, Massachusetts
- $1,000: Krzysztof Gajda, Rockford, Illinois
- $1,000: Cristina Lee, Gilbert, Arizona
Funding for Y.E.S. week and Y.E.S. scholarships is provided by The NRA Foundation through funds raised at Friends of NRA events. Visit http://yes.nra.org for more information.
About The NRA Foundation
Established in 1990, The NRA Foundation, Inc. is a 501(c) (3) tax-exempt organization that raises tax-deductible contributions in support of the National Rifle Association and other organizations. These activities promote firearms and hunting safety, enhance shooting sports, and educate the general public about firearms in their historic, technological and artistic context. For more information, visit The NRA Foundation website at www.nrafoundation.org or call 800-672-4521.
About the National Rifle Association
Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America’s oldest civil rights and sportsmen’s group. Five million members strong, NRA continues its mission to uphold Second Amendment rights and is the leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the military. Visit http://nra.org.