1. Today the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge made a surprise appearance on BBC Radio 1.
One of the presenters, Adele Roberts, is running the London Marathon to raise money for the mental health campaign Heads Together this Sunday. Prince William and Kate, who are the faces of the campaign, made a cameo on Scott Mills’ show to congratulate Roberts and to advocate being open about mental health.
William, Kate, and Prince Harry have been talking about mental health in various interviews all week. Talking about this coverage, William said: “It’s been eye-opening as well. This issue of mental health has been really brimming under the surface of public consciousness.”
2. When asked about their TV habits, William said: “We’ve watched Homeland, big fans of Homeland. Game of Thrones we’ve watched as well. Seems like everyone has watched Game of Thrones.”
He added: “That’s worth watching.”
3. Asked whether they watch soaps like EastEnders, William said: “We used to watch Neighbours a lot at school. That was a big thing. Everyone used to congregate at lunch and would watch Neighbours.”
Prince George has also watched Peppa Pig (he’s past it now, apparently) and is currently hooked on Fireman Sam.
They didn’t say whether they were viewers of The Crown, however.
4. William also admitted that he has previously texted in to Radio 1 and has had a shout-out on the air, but texted under a different name so he wouldn’t get found out.
5. Asked about music, the prince said: “We’ve talked about going to Glastonbury before because I do love my music, and so does Catherine as well.”
6. They then co-presented the opening of the Radio 1 Official Chart, which included introducing an Ed Sheeran record.
It’s time for the #OfficialChart with @GregJames…and The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge! YES. REALLY. 😱
Listen 👉… https://t.co/TbJ8mYLt2A
— BBC Radio 1 (@BBCR1)