3. The term “marijuana” has prettttty racist origins.
You can thank Harry Anslinger, the OG head of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, for the widespread use of this term. Back in the ’30s, Anslinger claimed that weed led to jazz — which he called “Satanic” (!!) — and that it made white women want to have sex with people of color, and he once said that “reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.” And instead of calling it “cannabis” (the more common name for it at the time), he called it “marihuana” in an effort to associate it with Mexican immigrants and stoke white America’s racist fears.
4. In 1938, Dr. James Munch, a weed “expert” for the U.S. government testified under oath that smoking weed once…turned him into a bat.
He said bat-him then flew into a giant inkwell, where he stayed for 200 years. Even better? It only took him TWO PUFFS to get that high.
7. There are more medical cannabis dispensaries in Colorado than there are Starbucks.
10. It can take 90 minutes to two hours for ingested weed to get you high, versus just 10 minutes for inhaled weed.
Which is why you should hang tight and NOT EAT ANOTHER COOKIE JUST YET, BUDDY.
11. But! If you do get suuuuuuper high and don’t like it, sniffing or nibbling black peppercorns can help.
It’s particularly good for stopping paranoia and anxiety, like, instantly. Another quick fix? Combine some freshly-squeezed lemon juice and a little lemon zest (plus some sugar, if you like) and drink it.
12. Trace amounts of weed can be found in the air in several Italian cities.
The levels are highest around major historic sites like the Colosseum and the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
13. If you need to clear the smell of pot from the air, soak a dish towel or rag in white vinegar, ring it out so it’s not dripping, and then walk through the room, spinning the towel like a helicopter.
Wait a couple minutes, and the smell of both the vinegar and the weed should disappear!
14. You can buy weed at the supermarket in North Korea.
15. Iceland loves pot more than any other country.
18.3% of the population reportedly uses cannabis. (Meanwhile, just 9.8% of Jamaicans do.)
16. You can thank a group of of high school stoners for “420.”
In 1971, a group five teens in California, known as the “Waldos,” would meet near a…wall (get it?)…at their school at 4:20 to get high. “420” became their code word, and it caught on.
17. Here are some extremely cool ways to say no to weed:
I am beginning a thread where I post a video of me saying each and every one of these
— mike mulloy (@fakemikemulloy)