Japan’s history is rich with wisdom and philosophy, and we’re here to offer some of our favorite gems!
31 pieces of profound wisdom from Japan that will change your perspective on life:
- If a problem can be solved, then it’s not worth worrying about it. If it can’t be solved, then it’s useless to worry about it.
- Having taken the time to think, venture to act. Once you’ve done so, stop thinking.
- Do not hold back that which is departing; do not chase away that which is arriving.
- Fast means going slowly without interruption.
- It is better to be the enemy of a good person than the friend of a bad one.
- There has never been a great individual who did not have ordinary people at their side.
- He who strongly desires to rise up will think of a way to build a ladder.
- A husband and wife should be similar to a hand and an eye: when one’s hand hurts, the eyes cry; and when the eyes cry the hand wipes away one’s tears.
- The sun does not know who is right or who is wrong. It shines without purpose and provides warmth to all.
- A frog in a well does not know the greatness of the sea.
- A long journey always begins with a short one.
- He who drinks does not know the dangers of wine; he who doesn’t drink does not know its benefits.
- Even if a sword is only required once in a lifetime, it should be worn all the time.
- Beautiful flowers do not bear good fruit.
- Grief, like a torn dress, should always be left at home.
- When one is in love, even the scars left by smallpox are as beautiful as dimples on a person’s cheeks.
- No one has ever stumbled whilst lying in bed.
- One kind word can keep you warm for three months of winter.
- Always make way for fools and madmen.
- If you want to paint a branch, you have to hear the breath of the wind.
- Check seven times before ever doubting someone.
- Do everything that you can and leave the rest to fate.
- Excessive honesty often borders on stupidity.
- Fortune will always come into a house with laughter.
- He who endures for just half an hour longer than his opponent can achieve victory.
- As soon as stones can swim, leaves will sink.
- Even monkeys can fall from their trees.
- Cold tea and cold rice are tolerable; what is intolerable is a cold gaze and harsh words.
- If you do not enter the tiger’s case, you will not catch its cub.
- If a woman wants something, she’ll climb a mountain to get it.
- Ask a question, and you feel shame for a moment. Not asking and not knowing means you will feel shame for your whole life.
Many thanks to Hearty Soul for sharing these gems!
If you enjoyed this article or learned something new, please don’t forget to share it with others so they have a chance to enjoy this free information. This article via NB is open source and free to reblog or use if you give a direct link back to the original article URL. Thanks for taking the time to support an open source initiative. We believe all information should be free and available to everyone. Have a good day and we hope to see you soon!